Monday, March 3, 2014

thai style creamy tomato linguine

Okay so I've probably said this before many times, Caleb and I like to experiment. There are several reasons we do this: 1) we're too cheap/lazy to buy all of the ingredients, 2) there is something awfully exciting about creating something different, and 3) we both are adventurous in trying new foods.

Say hello to my thai style creamy tomato linguine:


Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 20-25 min | Servings: 4

Ingredients:
1 pkg of a noodle pasta
2 TB olive oil
minced 3-4 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
a pinch of hot chile flakes
a pinch of brown sugar
1 can coconut milk
handful of raw shrimp (each chopped in half)
2 TB parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper (to taste)

  1. Boil pasta to al dente.
  2. Heat up the the olive oil in a large sauce pan to medium heat. Saute the minced garlic for several minutes until it gets fragrant. 
  3. Add the diced tomatoes, chile flakes, and brown sugar. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. 
  4. Stir in coconut milk. Bring to a boil then turn down heat to medium low.
  5. Add raw shrimp, parmesan cheese, and cilantro. Let cook for five minutes then bring down to a simmer. 
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Throw in the cooked pasta, let it cook in the sauce for a couple minutes. 
  I guess I'm calling this "thai style" because instead of cream I used coconut milk. It gives a nice sweet flavor found in thai dishes. I used this instead of cream because I didn't have any. You could probably do this with other meats like chicken or pork, but just make sure you cook it all the way through. Shrimp cooks very quickly, so you would probably have to cook other meats longer. I think the next time I make this, I will add a ton of spinach or kale just to make sure we are getting our greens. It's a really easy recipe where you can switch out ingredients for whatever you have. 

Enjoy!

Jessie

No comments: