Friday, February 21, 2014

Hem Dem Jeans

When I was a college student at Brigham Young University (oh so many years ago!) I vividly remember the day I found the perfect pair of jeans. They fit me so well that I felt I just had to get them. They weren't terribly expensive, and when it comes to jeans, finding that perfect pair is like finding a needle in a haystack. For me personally when it comes to shopping, I don't buy it unless I absolutely love it. This was one of those rare moments. I've had this pair of jeans for about five years now.




Unfortunately, even though they fit well, the length was too long. You can tell by the rips at the bottom, I never got them hemmed. So I immediately got to work. After some research on the ol' Google, I found an easy way to hem jeans without having to cut off the original hem. It would have been better if I hemmed them right after I made my purchase, but better late than never. 

From www.sewmuchado.com


1. Put your jeans on and fold up to the length you want and pin. 
2. Take the jeans off, and measure from your fold to the seam.
3. Divide that measurement in half, and then adjust your fold so that it  
is now half of the original length. Pin. 



4. Use your zipper foot and sew along the edge. Be sure not 
to sew over the seam on the original hem.
5. After you're done going all the way around, fold down the hem, and iron.


Pretty cool huh? I then got out another pair of jeans that I love, but were also too long. 

2nd pair done and done!
So...if you happen to be in the area I would be more than happy to hem your jeans! But you could probably just do it yourself. My mini tutorial is not that great, so if you need a more detailed tutorial, just click on the link I had included above. 

Hugs,

Jessie 

2 comments:

ida.ho said...

Oh my gosh. Once I got my sewing machine I did this to about 5 of my jeans! i made a few of them skinny jeans, too. PS this is Hanalei - for some reason it's only letting me post using my google ID!

Unknown said...

Hanalei! making some into skinny jeans is a really good idea. I'll have to look into that. I LOVE having a sewing machine, it's like now there are endless possibilities to customizing your clothes.