Thursday, February 27, 2014

monogram an easy baby blanket

I've mentioned before that my mother is an accomplished seamstress (and my mother-in-law is too!). One of her favorite things to make are baby quilts. Someday I will learn how to do that, but in the meantime I went with this. 


I recently attended a baby shower and usually I get the practical stuff like baby soap and lotion that you know they will use. But this time I wanted to try something different and since I had Bobbie, I decided to try this tutorial:

 By stayathomeartist.com

Seriously, the easiest baby blanket tutorial ever.

It's basically making a huge square flannel pillow case, but then you close it by using pretty stitching all the way around. 

Remember my first sewing project? Well in order to add a little something to the blanket, I decided to hand embroider a monogram using embroidery floss. I used a simple back stitch. I didn't do this until after I finished sewing the blanket, but I would suggest embroidering it first before sewing the two pieces of flannel together. I'm not the greatest at hand stitching, but I think it makes the gift that much more special. Well, in my opinion anything I receive that is made by the person is extra special and unique in my book. just sayin'.   

Also, I think this gift proves that you don't need to spend a lot of money either. You can easily find flannel on sale and I think total I spent a little under $7. I know it's only one blanket, but it was made with good quality flannel that will last longer than those store bought ones. And who doesn't want their own personalized gear? 


I love those robots! 

happy sewing,

Jessie

No comments: