Monday, March 24, 2014

style me #2 the psychology of color

When I was in high school, I had taken a class called Advertising Art. This class introduced me to a whole slew of different types of art. I learned about graphic design, lettering, photography, photoshop, and illustrator. It was a really fun class. I remember the day our teacher gave a lecture on color. As much as I loved black and white photography, I came to learn that color was a completely different dimension of art that made the possibilities endless. Our teacher went on to explain to us the psychology of color. I have long since thrown out my notes from that class, but a lot of those principles had stuck with me. I recently found an infographic about color, so I thought I would share it with you all. It is quite long, so just peruse the individual colors. I'm not a believer in the chakra stuff at the very end, but it was part of the infographic so it had to be included. Just focus on the color info. It's pretty intriguing. 



  

The implications made here in the infographic may be more applicable to design, but I think it can also apply to the way we present ourselves. The colors we choose to wear can not only affect our mood and behavior, but that of others as well. I am of the opinion that more often than not, we choose conservative colors because we are too afraid to branch out and wear a brighter color. I definitely fall into this category. Maybe we just don't know how to put colors together. One thing I like to do is have a pop of color somewhere in your outfit. It could be your shoes, your belt, a scarf, or even just the earrings you wear. If you want to learn more about how to match colors together, I recommend reading a couple of articles I found. 


Now that you've learned a little bit more about color, use it to spice up your style. You no longer need to be afraid of color!

Happy Coloring!

Jessie

No comments: