Friday, June 3, 2016

Madre and Padre's Michigan Trip



May was a very fun and exciting month for Caleb and I. My parents came to visit for ten days, their first trip to Michigan. Ten days sounds long, but we kept busy for sure! We first went to a museum in Belleville called the Yankee Air Museum.
I had never been before. It didn't start out too well, I got lost, sorta, and then we ended up at this mangy little warehouse with small sign saying "Yankee Air Museum." I was not impressed, and my dad had a skeptical expression, but we went in anyway. It turns out the museum is working on renovating an actual portion of the Willow Run Bomber Plant, where the actual WW2 planes were made. They plan to be in their new location in about 2-3 years. So we came a bit too early, but they still had exhibits displayed and we had a wonderful tour guide who was very knowledgeable. There were only 6 visitors in the entire museum, our party and another. It turned out to be a fantastic experience. The guide was able to delve into more detail and we were able to ask all the questions we wanted. That could never happen at a huge crowded museum. This plant was run by Henry Ford, and apparently the plant could assemble a plane together in less than an hour!



During the weekend they were here, we took a road trip down to Ohio to visit Caleb's parents. My parents had a blast! My mother-in-law is the best host and tour guide. She took us to see some of the Church historic sites in Kirtland the first day. We toured the Kirtland Temple, the John Johnson farm, the Newel K. Whitney store and home, and our church's visitor center. I'm always amazed and grateful to those individuals who sacrificed so much to help the Church grow at a time when persecution was blatant and very dangerous.

Kirtland Temple


We also went to the Amish country in Ohio. That was really fun for my parents too. I don't have any pictures of the furniture store, but my parents loved it! I had forgotten how much they love looking at furniture, but it was one of the main reasons why my dad wanted to see Amish country. The workmanship of their furniture is incredible. My dad took a business card in case he needs to get something custom made for his clients.

We also took them to a cheese store where you can sample of bunch of different cheeses. There was probably over 40 or 50 different kinds of cheese. Maybe more. That was really fun. We also took them to The Ashery, a unique grocery store with lots of samples as well. We picked up a few things like spices and candy. Might as well, right?



My parents cooked a bunch of Chinese dishes and Caleb's parents loved it! We also played several games of Sequence and my parents totally got into it. I loved watching them play.




That Sunday was also Mother's Day. Loved being with both of them!





Once we got back to Michigan, I put my parents to work. Well, they kind of asked for it so I thought of some easy house projects. They did sooo much I'm still in shock at all they accomplished. We were able to replace my kitchen sink and faucet, put new caulking in the shower, replace the showerhead, refinish two tables, and plant new grass in our front lawn, I'm sure I'm missing something...oh and they cooked dinners too! It felt weird that they were taking care of me, but it was nice at the same time. Pretty sure Caleb and I both gained weight from eating so much food. I think that was secretly their goal. They always say we're too skinny. :) I love my parents so much. I had a great time with them. 

We also went to the Henry Ford Museum. If anyone comes to visit the Ann Arbor or Detroit area, this is a must. You have to go see this museum. It's not cheap, but completely worth your time.


Dad on a green screen at the museum.


I can't remember what this was, but it was some sort of steam engine or something like that.




These two crack me up so much!

We ate some good sandwiches at Amer's...


And also had Korean bbq while we were there. On our way to the restaurant we found out my brother passed the Bar Exam! So we celebrated for him.


On the last day of their trip, Caleb gave them the tour...


Thanks for coming Mom and Dad! Hope you enjoyed the trip!





No comments: