Friday, April 4, 2014

a dear old place called hong kong


So Hong Kong has always had a special place in my heart even before I served a church mission there. ( a fun link: video of me opening my mission call) Both of my parents are Chinese, and specifically from Hong Kong. Growing up we rarely made a family trip there. Too expensive. My brothers and I grew up hearing stories of the motherland. Seeing the "quirks" of my Asian parents, because of the Chinese culture, as well as trying to understand the unique peculiarities of their personalities,  I couldn't help but wonder what kind of place influenced their childhood. Hong Kong, for a long time, was indeed a mysterious place. 

Fast forward many years, I've been lucky to travel to Hong Kong more than both of my brothers combined. I have been blessed tremendously to learn more about the culture, and in turn it has helped me to understand my parents even more. 

I will be leaving to go on another exciting trip to the motherland....TOMORROW! Sorry, don't mean to spring it on you guys. It's been in the works for a while. I will be going with my parents. Unfortunately, Caleb cannot come because of school. Just wanted to give my few readers a heads up that I may not be able to blog while I'm out there. I will be gone for almost two weeks. 

Caleb if you end up reading this, just want to say I love you!! Be good! And have FUN!

Yeh Yeh and Mah Mah (father's parents)

Gung Gung and Poh Poh (mother's parents)




No comments: