Wednesday, August 1, 2012

maki-zushi


So a couple weeks back we invited one of Caleb's friends, Ryan, and his girlfriend over for dinner. Nicole (the girlfriend) served a mission in Japan and so we decided to have Chinese and Japanese food. For the Chinese food, we made pot stickers, which is a no brainer for us. However, for Japanese food, we decided to make sushi. Maki-zushi is the actual Japanese term for the seaweed rolls filled with rice and other things. Nigiri-zushi is for the kind of sushi that is a lump of rice with raw fish on top. Sushi is my (Jessica) all-time favorite food. Honestly, I could eat sushi everyday.

Eating is one thing, but making it was a completely different experience. I've made sushi before at home with my dad, but this time there was no dad. So I went online and I found this awesome website: www.sushirecipes.org




We used the recipe for the sushi rice and it came out amazing! We are not great at rolling sushi, as you can tell from the photos, but it tasted great. In our sushi rolls we had artificial crab, cucumber, carrots, spicy tuna (cooked), and eggs. We didn't always put all of these ingredients, but we made different kinds. It was a really great night.

No comments: