Caleb has finished his second semester at Michigan. Woohoo! I am so proud of him! It was a lot of hard work, but he managed to pull through with some stellar grades. He will be doing research all summer and resume classes in the fall. Yesterday we talked about some of the research he is doing and I was actually able to understand some of it! Research is hard work. I commend anybody who decides to go into it.
I got busy with church right after my trip to Hong Kong. I now help in the young womens program. They are ages twelve to eighteen, but I'm specifically over the twelve and thirteen-year-olds. They are so cute! I am also helping with their girls camp preparations, and we only have about a month left before camp. So I'm being kept super busy with that.
Now that the weather has turned warm, everything has begun to bloom. It is sooooo purty. I've been enjoying the plants and seeing what surprises our garden beds have for us. There are a bunch of perennials on this property, and it's been fun to see them return. I have a lifetime supply of hostas. I think those are my favorite out of all the plants I have. My mother-in-law found some bleeding hearts in one of the beds. They're so unique.
My mother-in-law came for a day and helped me with splitting plants and transplanting. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it. She has taught me so much about plants and gardening. I don't know what I would have done without her. In our front yard we extended the beds further out away from the house and transplanted daylilies.
Before of one of the beds
After
We also started a garden! I have a picture here of the seedlings before I planted them:
I couldn't plant them all because our plot was not big enough, so I gave some away to family and friends. Starting seeds is so much fun. It's fun to see them grow and get big. We've planted tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, lettuce, radishes, onions, broccoli, basil, and some other herbs like sage and culantro or something like that. I think we were a little ambitious for our first garden, but since we have the space and a gazillion seeds to try, we might as well, right?
Another thing about summatime....grilling. Caleb and I knew we wanted to buy a grill. We have this amazing backyard deck; it would be a shame not to have a grill. So Caleb went on craigslist immediately and found one for forty bucks. What a steal! It's a really nice charbroil charcoal grill and smoker. Caleb said its priced over $200 retail. Could I say no? I guess not... The seller also gave us his leftover charcoal and smoking chips. Man we're lucky. We grilled some wings while my mother-in-law was here. They were sooo good.
I know these aren't the greatest food pictures, but man....they were amazing. The first picture was of our hot wings. The second what just without the hot sauce. Caleb is getting pretty good at grilling.
Well, now that the thunderstorm is passed, I think I'll go out and work on my yard. Hope you all are having a good week!
<3 Jessie






1 comment:
firstly, those hot wings loook delish. Also, I wish we had more room to plant a garden! we just have enough space for two tomato plants. Happy harvesting!!
Post a Comment